ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
League Discussion/Recruitment/Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think about the GHII Leagues?
Awesome! I had a lot of fun, and improved some of my scores too!
69%
 69%  [ 79 ]
I like the idea, but I just couldn't devote the time to it
19%
 19%  [ 22 ]
It's got potential, but really needs some work on details
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
DUMBEST...IDEA...EVER, what were you thinking?
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
GHII Leagues? Huh?
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 114

Javman158  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated list

Code:
Twist Master List:

1  - No SP
2  - Mirror Mode
3  - Performance Mode
4  - y/X SP
5  - Opposite Hand
6  - < note streak
7  - < note percentage
8  - low score
9  - upstrum only
10 - no whammy allowed
11 - play standing, no strap
12 - muted
13 - no alt strum

To Be Determined:
1 - 1st and last run
2 - low score, >x% notes
3 - closest score, x tries
4 - high score ending in xx
Telal  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does:
4 - y/X SP

mean?
elx  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In AA playoffs we had a twist on Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight where the stat seet had to show achieving 0/9 star power achieved. This is expanded to show mean showing a certain number of star power phrases achieved and missing the rest.
RyuBlitz  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple potential twists...

- Over the top: Play the song w/ your fretting hand over the neck (as opposed to normally under it)
- Sound Interference(elaborated): Have headphones in, w/ iPod, CD player, etc. at >50% volume, playing a song of a contrary genre (Country opposite Rock, Rap opposite Blues, etc.)
- Match that Rank: Mod picks a random rank, and players try to match the score of the person at that rank (for that song, not overall)

-Ryu

Join GatheringofGamers.com TODAY!
Barfo  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telal wrote:
What does:
4 - y/X SP

mean?

at the end of the song, on the more stats screen your stat for "SP phrases" has to be y/X where X is the total number of SP phrases (fixed byt he game), and y is a number decided on by the commisioner at the start of the week. For example, in AA league during the playoffs, the twist was 0/9 SP, which meant that you had to playt he song without finishing any SP phrases. But equally we could have determined at the start of the week that the twist would be '3/9 SP' which would mean you had to play the song and finish exactly 3 SP phrases. y will always be determined in advance for a given appearance of this twist.
wealreadyknow  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to sign up for Expert AA =]
Kingofterrors  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me in for Expert AA please

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javman158 wrote:
updated list

Code:
Twist Master List:

1  - No SP
2  - Mirror Mode
3  - Performance Mode
4  - y/X SP
5  - Opposite Hand
6  - < note streak
7  - < note percentage
8  - low score
9  - upstrum only
10 - no whammy allowed
11 - play standing, no strap
12 - muted
13 - no alt strum

To Be Determined:
1 - 1st and last run
2 - low score, >x% notes
3 - closest score, x tries
4 - high score ending in xx

Here are my thoughts.

Get rid of the physical twists, such as standing + no strap and opposite hand. These are inconvenient and uninteresting. Also, get rid of performance mode as a twist. I don't want to have to waste tons of time completely memorizing a song, and I'm sure many other players would agree.

For the ones under debate:

As finnicky as the SG controllers are, I don't think 1st and last run is a very fair twist. Rounds shouldn't be decided because star power didn't deploy on time (or perhaps because there was some sudden distraction or because someone had just played the song recently).

The difficulty of a low score challenge is figuring out how rarely to hit notes while avoiding failing (including SP strategy). Adding a >% takes this element out and makes it a simple matter of hitting % notes, being sure to extra strum frequently. No to this one.

If by #3, you mean closest score to some given score (or perhaps closest without going over), this would be an interesting twist, though scores may become too bunched up to really make much of a difference.

#4 would probably be too much of a pain in the ass to be practical, especially for songs ending on a hold. I can see it being really frustrating to play a song over and over and over and over, trying to release a hold at the exact right instant. It might work, though, to instead specify what the hundreds and/or thousands digits must be.

The best twists, in my opinion, are the ones which require figuring out some sort of strategy, not the ones that measure your ability to play in spite of some annoying physical inhibition (whether this be an inability to read the notes or forcing you to play the guitar some inconvenient way). From the master list, the twists I like are 1, 4 (my personal favorite), 6, 7, 8, and 10, while 9 and 12 are passable. Another possible twist which isn't listed is X (or perhaps <X) SP activations, where you can get as many phrases as you want as long as you only activate a certain number of times. Obviously you would need to pick a good X for the specific song (something like 3 activations on Radium Eyes would be dumb), but I think this could lead to some interesting SP paths.

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbaloot wrote:
The difficulty of a low score challenge is figuring out how rarely to hit notes while avoiding failing (including SP strategy). Adding a >% takes this element out and makes it a simple matter of hitting % notes, being sure to extra strum frequently. No to this one.

And that would be a special low score strategy.

Barbaloot wrote:
The best twists, in my opinion, are the ones which require figuring out some sort of strategy, not the ones that measure your ability to play in spite of some annoying physical inhibition (whether this be an inability to read the notes or forcing you to play the guitar some inconvenient way).

Think about that.
ES942  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind that these "twists" are not all helping you achieve your high score. you don't have to get an optimal on every song in performance mode. the twists are meant to handicap the players, and spread out the points a bit, so as not to base it all on score.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only ones I have a problem with is 1st and last runs, and score ending in xx.

With your 1st and last runs, it's not always your best effort. You should be able to post the best that you can do on a song.

With "score ending in xx", that's the worst one in my opinion. This has absolutely nothing to do with ability at all and you have a 1 in 100 chance of doing it successfully. There's no way you can control the last 2 digits in a score.
jerridthomas79  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take it that, Leagues are Ggrrrrreat!

Was averaging about 2 (for sure) personal best scores for songs played during league.

My only gripe is the twists in GH2 League A last season, with Performance Mode, followed up by Opp Hand. These just plain blow, not finishing a song, and submitted a percentage is no fun at all, and spending all that time playing with my g-tar on my lap, trying to tap it all out lefty was too damn frustrating.

I will say this, the <90% or whatever, no SP, and <70 note streak - these types of twist are MUCH more fun, there's strategy involved, plus you get to finish the song, which is always fun. I know the others are different and challenging n'all, but c'mon. It's only fun for few who can do it (and if you ask me, some of the people doing performance mode are playing a YouTube video in the background, syncing up with their song, so they can still see the notes, or even pulling up note charts.) whatever, i won't point fingers or complain, just saying, we should definately vote on say top 5 twists, and leave the others like opp hand and PMode OUT for good

Everyone who ran the leagues I have been in, GHII - A, and GHI - Expert have done a wonderful job. I can always depend on getting good results right away, and always have good correspondence.

I would maybe like to see 5 songs per week, or consider making the weeks shorter. Or, making the weeks shorter, with 4 songs, but make it 5 or 6 weeks (20-24 total songs before playoffs)

That's my take.
Wonderful work Javman on setting this up, and all the league commissioners.

PS - eliminate PMode and opp hand twists, I know they handicap, but still, no fun for 80% of us who can't complete the songs. (my opinion of course)

Visit www.rockoutproductions.com to see what all the buzz is about
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Jerrid DOMN8R
DrSham  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR626 wrote:

With "score ending in xx", that's the worst one in my opinion. This has absolutely nothing to do with ability at all and you have a 1 in 100 chance of doing it successfully. There's no way you can control the last 2 digits in a score.

Don't agree at all with you on this one JR, and I for one think this is a really strategic twist and should definitely be kept. How do you think the proofs are managed when you have to control the EXACT score. No doubting that there is a certain knack to controlling scores near the end of songs by manipulating holds but it's not that difficult, at worst it's a 1 in 5 chance of getting the last 2 digits but no worse than that.

IMO, only the twists that favour the better players should be up for discussion, as they already have an advantage on the other 3 songs by simply being better. If the point of twists is to level the playing field a bit then maybe those are the ones, if any, that need looking at.

Gamertag - Doc Sham
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Doc Sham
Barfo  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR626 wrote:
There's no way you can control the last 2 digits in a score.

ROTFLOL!!! (obligatory Wonka quote:) You lose, you get nothing, good day to you sir!

@other posters:
Everybody has some twists they like and some twists they hate. How terribly dull life (league) would be if you couldn't look forward to the twists that you are really "good" at, and curse the gods when a twist that you suck at comes up. Its intentional that the different twists cover a large range of actual skills needed runing the gamut from physical prowess of various stripes to various different ways of looking at the songs and paths in terms of alternate strategic considerations foisted upon you. The ultimate goal of the twists is merely to shake things up and add both variety and randomness, not necessarily to level the playing field (though its a nice bonus when that happens), and certainly not to be uniformly fair to everybody all the time (though we try hard to make sure the unfairness will be randomly distributed and not singling pope out).

So constructive criticism is nice (but you should check your facts before making transparently false assertions), but keep in mind that this is an old thread so those "TBD" twists are basically already battle-tested and in for good (except closest to a certain score, because it would just result in too many ties, i exported that idea to the exact score challenge which i then later dry-docked due to lack of time). That said, if people have any ideas for some more twists, im sure we are open to hearing more (X SP activations is a decent one for cases where X<1/4 the number of SP phrases).

EDIT:
Barbaloot wrote:
The difficulty of a low score challenge is figuring out how rarely to hit notes while avoiding failing (including SP strategy). Adding a >% takes this element out and makes it a simple matter of hitting % notes, being sure to extra strum frequently.

Well you still have to figure out which notes to take out to minimize your score, and you still have to exectue the path you figure out in advance and fast-drop holds, but i definitely agree with your premise: having done both pure low score attack and low score 100% attack runs it is MUCH MUCH harder to do a pure low score attack (in terms of effort it takes to figure out an optimum path, and effort to execute that path). However, i dont think your premise implies your conclusion, the strategies are sufficiently different that they can both coexist, and the fact that there is a more difficult twist in the list should not preclude inclusion of sufficiently dissimilar easier twists. For example, IMO <x% notes is MUCH easier (in ters of strategy and execution) than <x ns, but thats not an argument for taking out <x ns (Ditto argument on the physical side for upstrum only versus no-alt strum, or on the annoying twists side for perf mode versus mirror mode).
Barbaloot  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, naturally, everyone will have twists they like and don't like. However, two stand out as being particularly awful (and I would imagine loathed by many players), because they force an abnormally large time commitment just to get a score, period.

Performance mode - Many of us, including me, have more important things to do than sit in front of a notechart, memorizing it note for note. I imagine if this comes up as a twist, and it's not a song I already know very well, I won't bother submitting a score.

Last 2 digits - Okay, first let me go ahead and state that I have never in fact actually tried to get a score to end in a given pair of two digits, so if this is in fact easier than it seems, my argument loses some of its clout. However, from watching how fast the numbers change when I am on a hold, this seems very difficult and based on purely luck. With regular scoring, if you are having a great run and then mess up near the end, you may end up with a score a few thousand points below what it would have been. No big deal. However, if you let off a hold a millisecond early or late near the end of the song, you have completely nullified your entire run due to something that is essentially luck. If we are going to have this twist, why don't we have a "Dice Twist" as well: Play through the song. After you are finished and have your score in front of you, roll a die. If it comes up 6, you get to submit your score, and if it comes up anything else, your score doesn't count and you have to start over. The premise seems basically the same. (And for the love of god, I hope no one actually thinks the Dice twist is a good idea.)

I stated in my previous post that specifying what the hundreds and/or thousands digit (or even tens) must be seems to be better that specifying what the last digits must be. This still would require some sort of strategy, but it takes some of the sheer luck out of it. (I see a big difference between luck affecting to a small degree how well you do on a song, and luck affecting whether the score even counts.) Can anyone give me an argument against this change?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: