Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar Hero Explorer (ghex) - 0.4.3
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
katamakel  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Guitar Hero Explorer (ghex) - 0.4.3 Reply with quote

For the sake of peace and sanity on these boards, I am making ghex 0.4.3 available for download again.
Support will only be given in this thread, so please direct people here if they ask questions in other places.

(Frequently) Asked Questions (Latest questions in blue!)
    Will you be continuing development of ghex now?
    Why do the new charts say "Generated using Guitar Hero Explorer 0.5.0"?
    Why don't you make ghex open source so other people can continue development?
    How can I give you my money? Will you accept donations?
    How can I run ghex on my Mac?
    Which version of the .NET Framework do I need installed? The x86, x64, or IA64 version?
    What do I do when I get error 25007 whilst installing .NET Framework?

Which versions of Guitar Hero will work with ghex?
    How do I add an archive to ghex?
    What does the Cyclic Redundancy Check/Mostly Zeroes error mean?
    Why doesn't my archive work when I copied it using my Mac?
    Why does ghex say my archive is bad? (and why does it do this?)
    Why does ghex say my Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s archive contains bad data?
    How do I shrink my archive? (and why?)
    Why does my PS2 have problems reading the disc after I used Shrink-o-Matic?
    Can I open the .ark files from other Harmonix games in ghex?

Why are all the options disabled when I right-click on a song's file(s)?
    How do I convert a Guitar Hero 1 song to Guitar Hero 2?
    How do I import a FeedBack song (.chart)?
    Why doesn't the .chart I'm trying to import show up?
    How do I import a Frets on Fire song?
    How do I import to VGS?
    How do you replace Arterial Black? There is no VGS file..
    Why does ghex crash when I import to VGS?
    What does HRESULT: 0xC00D002F error mean when I import to VGS?
    Why doesn't negative offsets work when I import to VGS?
    How long should it take to replace/import a file?
    Will there ever be batch importing of songs in ghex?
    How do I preview a song?
    Why are all the BPMs in ghex displayed as whole numbers?
    How do I make sure the VGS syncs with the notes?
    Why does the music play all choppy?
    Will the choppy music playback in ghex affect how they sound in the game?
    How can I add songs to Guitar Hero if I have an Xbox 360?
    Why do the note charts on this site look different than when I export them?

And finally... How do I install ghex?

Will you be continuing development of ghex now?
    No. For now, my decision to stop working on ghex is final.

Why do the new charts say "Generated using Guitar Hero Explorer 0.5.0"?
    After each release I increased the version number according to my release plan, after 0.4.3 would come 0.5.0
    However I decided to stop development and that version was never finished/released.

For internal use (charts for SH and my personal enjoyment) I have lately worked on it some more, but neither JCirri nor the other moderators have access to the "new" ghex

This does not mean there will be another public release, nor does it mean I've actively picked up development.
    In reality I actually have even less time do embark upon that journey right now.

Why don't you make ghex open source so other people can continue development?
    Right now, this is not something that is going to happen, for different reasons.
    For platform independence etc. there are other alternatives, like the ARK Expander and Guitar Wizard which are both Java applications.
    End of discussion.

How can I give you my money? Will you accept donations?
    I will not be accepting any type of donations for ghex.
    It is free. Enjoy it.

How can I run ghex on my Mac?
    Since ghex is written 100% in C# the only way to get it working on a Mac is through Parallels or Boot Camp.
    There will not be a Java version of ghex, since it would mean a complete re-write of everything.

Which version of the .NET Framework do I need installed? The x86, x64, or IA64 version?
    Probably the x86 or x64 depending on your system. The x64 is for 64-bit systems.
    Don't worry about the IA64 version, that's for the Itanium (high end server CPU).

What do I do when I get error 25007 whilst installing .NET Framework?
    Delete the \WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies folder.
    Then reinstall the Framework.
    More info here..

Which versions of Guitar Hero will work with ghex?
    The only versions of Guitar Hero ghex 0.4.3 will work with is Guitar Hero 1, Guitar Hero 2, and Guitar Hero Encore: Rock the 80's for the PS2 console. (You will need to read the "Why does ghex say my Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s archive contains bad data?" question in this post if you are customizing GHE: RT80's). ghex 0.4.3 has limited read-only support for Guitar Hero 2 for XBox 360, however, the XBox version can not be customized with ghex. Any other versions of Guitar Hero can not be customized with this program, and you will have to look elsewhere in the Software forum to find those that will.

How do I add an archive to ghex?
    If you don't want to modify the archive, or already have it on your hard drive, just go File->Archive->Add.
    Otherwise use File->Archive->Copy From DVD and ghex will copy it for you, as well as add it to the list.
    It will also perform some early checks on the archive (whilst copying) so if something looks wrong, you won't have to wait for the entire archive to be copied before you know.
    When you add an archive to ghex and it is read-only, ghex will ask you if it should remove that attribute so you can modify the archive. Just click 'Yes' if that's what you want.

What does the Cyclic Redundancy Check/Mostly Zeroes error mean?
    This error means that your DVD-drive failed to read the disc correctly. This can either be caused by a dirty/scratched disc, old DVD-drive firmware or a crappy DVD-drive.
    Please try it using a different DVD-drive (maybe on a different computer) and if that works, buy a new DVD-drive.
    You can also try to right-click My Computer and go Properties->Hardware Tab->Device Manager, expand IDE Controllers and right-click Secondary IDE Channel, go to the Advanced tab and change transfer mode to PIO.

Why doesn't my archive work when I copied it using my Mac?
    Most likely this is due to the DVD-drive in your Mac not being able to handle the disc properly.
    The only solution I've seen reported to this problem is to use a PC to copy the disc.

Why does ghex say my archive is bad? (and why does it do this?)
    The archive validation process will check certain known file types within the archive for valid information and if anything looks out of place, it even performs the same checks on .mid files that are performed during import.
    Even though some people are annoyed with this feature, it reduced certain question on the forums by about 99%.

Why does ghex say my Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s archive contains bad data?
    As ghex 0.4.3 was made well before GH80s was released, it does not handle the left-behind MIDI event in the TRIGGERS track of shakin.mid, and as such thinks the archive is corrupt.
    Fortunately this is easily fixed by following these simple steps (thanks to nickb611 for writing it down so I didn't have to ):

1. Expand the .ark with ARK Expander
    2. Edit the shakin.mid with a midi sequencer and fix the message (more info here)
    3. Recompile the .ark with ARK Expander
    4. Open the .ark with GHEx and start replacing songs

How do I shrink my archive? (and why?)
    If you shrink your archive importing songs will be much much faster, but please remember to do it before you start importing any songs or replacing any files!

1. Make sure the archive you want to shrink is loaded, then right-click it and choose "Shrink Archive".
    2. Choose what you want to shrink (Songs of course matters the most) and hit OK.
    3. Wait. And when I say "wait", I mean wait

Why does my PS2 have problems reading the disc after I used Shrink-o-Matic?
    I'll explain briefly.
    When you shrink the archive and only put a few new songs in it, it will be very small (300-400MiB maybe) and thus it will end up pretty far away from the outer edge of the DVD (when you burn a disc it starts from inside and burns outward).
    The DVD drive in the PS2 (as in most consoles) is a CAV drive (Constant Angular Velocity) which means that the read-speed is slower nearer the middle hole of the disc.
    An easy fix for this is to pad the disc with a dummy file, in order to push the GH2 files outwards.
    You can do that easily in CD/DVD-GEN in the Layout view, but I can't be bothered to outline it for you.

Can I open the .ark files from other Harmonix games in ghex?
    No, because they are not exactly the same format since those games use older versions of Harmonix' game engine.

Why are all the options disabled when I right-click on a song's file(s)?
    Your archive files are still marked as read-only (they have this attribute on the DVD) and you need to remove that attribute and restart ghex.

How do I convert a Guitar Hero 1 song to Guitar Hero 2?
    1. Right-click on the .mid you want to import to.
    2. Choose the Guitar Hero 1 .mid file.
    3. You're done! Hand positions, applicable animation triggers and Face-off sections etc. will be converted. Also, song sections will be added automagically (not perfect).

How do I import a FeedBack song (.chart)?
    2. Choose the .chart file you want to import.

Why doesn't the .chart I'm trying to import show up?
    It was probably renamed to .chart.txt when you downloaded it, so just remove the .txt part (ex: song.chart, not song.chart.txt).

How do I import a Frets on Fire song?
    2. Choose the "song.ini" file, not "notes.mid".

How do I import to VGS?
    1. Right-click on the .vgs file you want to import to. Choose "Import."
    2. Right-click on the upper list and choose "Add," and locate one or more files.
    3. Assign which source channels to use for which VGS channels using the drop-down boxes.
    4. Click "OK" and wait for a bit.
    5. Keep track on how much memory you have left in Windows as ghex leaks for each song you import. Restarting ghex every 4-5 songs is recommended.

How do you replace Arterial Black? There is no VGS file..
    It's the one called arterialblack_sp.vgs, which means Single Player (as opposed to _coop).

Why does ghex crash when I import to VGS?
    There is a memory leak in ghex when importing to VGS, so please keep track of how much memory you have left (ex: using Task Manager) and when it gets too low (below 100MiB free) just restart ghex.
    If ghex crashes due to running out of memory, there is a possibility that your archive will be corrupted!

What does HRESULT: 0xC00D002F error mean when I import to VGS?
    Your MP3 is damaged in some way. Either try to open it in a sound editor (like Audacity) and save it to a new file, or get different MP3 file from somewhere.

Why doesn't negative offsets work when I import to VGS?
    I have not been able to verify this myself, as I have no problems with it, but others have said that it is due to the file being encoded with VBR.
    Try converting it to WAV or some other format using CBR (Constant Bit Rate).

How long should it take to replace/import a file?
    It depends. The first time you replace Collide.* for example, it will have to move around 2100 files which amounts to some 2.5GiB of data, and takes about 10 minutes on my 7200rpm HDD. A slow hard drive will definitely slow this down.

Will there ever be batch importing of songs in ghex?
    No.

How do I preview a song?
    Select the songs folder (with the little 'Play' (>) icon on it.

Why are all the BPMs in ghex displayed as whole numbers?
    This is purely for cosmetical reasons, as the chart would be too cluttered with fractions.
    This does not affect the game at all!

How do I make sure the VGS syncs with the notes?
    1. Use the preview functionality (by selecting the song's directory) and pull the slider from 100% to 25% and hit Play.
    2. Watch the song play and notice if the VGS is playing too early, or too late (watch the cursor as it moves over the notes and listen to the audio).
    3. If you hear the first note before or after you see it highlighted in the note chart, redo the VGS import, but this time, right-click your source file and choose "Properties". Input a suitable guess for the "Offset" value in milliseconds (1 second = 1000 milliseconds). If you heard the note before you saw it, input a positive value, otherwise a negative value.
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you see the note being highlighted at the same time it's being played.

Why does the music play all choppy?
    If you have Windows Vista, VGS playback is not supported due to ghex using an old Win32 API for audio playback.
    If you have Windows XP (or God forbid, 95/98) it might be that your computer is too slow to handle the real-time updates of the note chart, you can try updating either your graphics card drivers or your hardware.
    You can also try making the ghex window smaller and see if that helps, if it does, do what I just wrote above (only applies to Windows 95/98/XP).

Will the choppy music playback in ghex affect how they sound in the game?
    No, this is just a playback problem in ghex on Windows Vista.

How can I add songs to Guitar Hero if I have an Xbox 360?
    Short answer: You can't!
    Long answer: You can't, but it has been done.
    The reason you can't do it is because the main archive header is encrypted/obfuscated in some (currently) unknown way, and the Downloadable Content archives (which was how it was done previously) needs to be re-signed in order to work.
    In order to re-sign content you would need some encryption keys unique to your Xbox360, and the exploid used to obtain those has since been patched by Microsoft.

Why do the note charts on this site look different than when I export them?
    They were exported using the Batch Export functionality (right-click an archive).

And finally... How do I install ghex?

Now behave people,
--kata

Last edited by katamakel on Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:06 am; edited 22 times in total
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned out crap again, and updated the FAQ.
Out of 25 pages, only 10 new actual answerable questions were gathered, that's a bit too much noise for my taste.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I wiped this thread out. Lets lay down some (common sense) policies.

1) If you quote the OP, I will ban you.
2) If you ask where to download GHEx, I will ban you.

Custom Guitar Hero
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: DrumHero89
xAceofHartsx  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: corrupt data..!! T~T Reply with quote

ok i think i kno the answer already but ima ask anyway...if ghex crashes and ur data goes corrupt..is there any way to save/recover it...??
Poetry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: BIOxSLOTH PSN Name: BlO-SLOTH
Killers777  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when it asks, and you save all the files somewhere, you can use ark expander to rebuild it I think.

Visit My Thread for Custom charts, characters, screens, guitars, and fretboards!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: liveafterdeth
fawked  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt there's support for this program anymore,but to my knowledge it's the only one that'll let me preview songs
anyways...
i get an error for GHeX that says "an error occurred in system.drawing.dll, font 'arial' does not support style 'regular'"
it's preventing me from previewing songs in ghex. i've been running ghex for over a year,so i'm not really sure what changed. any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHex is not applying the end event from FeedBack to my MP3s. The chart is ending correctly, the music file is not. Any ideas on what to do?
djbignickwir  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do I make custom note sets?
TSorbera  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djbignickwir wrote:
how do I make custom note sets?

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68938
GHTCP (Guitar Hero Three Control Panel) - for all your GH3 PC needs*
*not quite all needs, but for custom songs, custom game images, black background speed boost, and more
gamewiz83  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this msg when I try to open ghex:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b). Click on OK to terminate the application."

I already have NET 2.0 installed...
TSorbera  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't quote the OP. I just banned quirby from the forums for 7 days for doing this twice.
nickb611 wrote:
Alright I wiped this thread out. Lets lay down some (common sense) policies.

1) If you quote the OP, I will ban you.
2) If you ask where to download GHEx, I will ban you.

GHTCP (Guitar Hero Three Control Panel) - for all your GH3 PC needs*
*not quite all needs, but for custom songs, custom game images, black background speed boost, and more
lilmohaa  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: MP3 files.. Reply with quote

Hi guys, im just now starting to get songs onto my GH2 game. im all up to where you open GHEX then select what song then badreputation.mid and select import to get the song you want....when i do that no songs appear for me to import??? does anyone know why that is? i know for sure it is an .mp3 file...please help me...thank you
bodom0015  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've been out of the game for awhile, but I know something is wrong here. :\ I just built a new rig in July an it's pretty stacked.

Anyways, I just installed GHEx 0.4.3 on the machine, which already had .NET 3.5, since I use it to for computer programming. It works fine up until I try to preview any .vgs file. It verifies the archive and displays the .mid when I highlight the folder, but if I try to preview I get this message:

Quote:
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you Click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

There are three buttons at the bottom of the pop-up form: Details, Continue, and Quit.

-Continue keeps GHEx open, but I still can't play .vgs files and the error repeats when I try.

-Quit (obviously) terminates the application.

-Details extends the bottom of the pop-up form, revealing a new area below, which reads:

Quote:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at c3.waveOutOpen(IntPtr& A_0, Int32 A_1, bt A_2, b A_3, Int32 A_4, Int32 A_5)
at aq..ctor(Int32 A_0, bt A_1, Int32 A_2, Int32 A_3, bu A_4)
at en.d(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ghex
Assembly Version: 0.4.3.0
Win32 Version: 0.4.3.0
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/OnReally/Guitar%20Hero%20Explorer/ghex.exe
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
ghex
Assembly Version: 0.4.3.0
Win32 Version: 0.4.3.0
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/OnReally/Guitar%20Hero%20Explorer/ghex.exe
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Deployment
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system>
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I extracted the heartshapedbox.vgs file and used VGSSplitter to split it, and it played fine in Windows Media Player, so it's not the sound file. I am reimporting it now to see if it works.

Any idea what the problem could be or how to fix it?

EDIT:
Alright, the file didn't even finish importing. It stopped responding and it closed. The archive got corrupted, as expected from a mid-import crash. I am going to retry importing now. If it happens again, then I'm lost.

EDIT 2:
This time, instead of importing the .vgs file, I imported one of the .wavs I had split out of it. The import was successful, but the error still pops up when I try to preview the .vgs file.

EDIT 3:
I am running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition if that matters.

Last edited by bodom0015 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: bodom0015
forevertheginger  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: cd/dvd generator Reply with quote

I am having a hard time getting the cd/dvd generator to work. I download the file and I am following directions on a video I have of the entire process, and the steps that the guy goes into are not options when I open my cd/dvdgen.rar folder. Any clue?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: